Yes, I admit it, I watched Dancing with the Stars. Honestly, when going to Hulu, it was one of the first shows that popped up on my screen. Or maybe it is my guilty pleasure. Whichever way it went, I watched Dancing with the Stars on Hulu. Dancing with the Stars is a well- made (well, I guess it depends on who you are talking to) high quality, major television network produced television show. Even though it is a reality show, I can tell that what I am watching has a thousand specific people and things that had to be put in an exact way and had to be practiced over and over again before it was shown to me on Hulu.com. The show is largely edited and scripted. The people on it are supposed to be famous and on television, that it their job. It is clear that the show is trying to be humerus, but is obviously edited to be funny rather than just being funny in itself.

This is of course in contrast to the random video I watched on YouTube. The video I watched was one of my favorite viral videos of all time- the girl who needs to get a job before she needs a man (get it 5 year old girl!). It is clear that this video was not made for television. There are no actors, no multiple camera angles, no scripted jokes, just a little girl talking. The things she is saying are not scripted, but they should have been because they are just so funny. You can tell that this video was not edited and was made with very little skill. It is not high quality and focuses on the cuteness and brassiness of the girl rather than the flashy editing and video production.
Interesting post! I definitely found that the biggest difference between Youtube and Hulu was the type of content on the sites also. Hulu offers more broadcast network TV shows whereas Youtube contains more user-created content. I also found differences in the types of commercials. Hulu had longer commercial breaks and many of the commercials on Youtube were banner ads. I attribute this difference to the different types of content on the sites. I also know from my own experience that Youtube has greater potential for viral videos and Hulu is used more for watching full episodes of one's favorite shows. Do you agree? Overall, insightful post!
ReplyDelete