Saturday, March 10, 2012

Yelp (social review site) - Practicum Blog 2

The social reviewing continues - this afternoon, I wrote reviews for the University Bookstore and The Sett. These are obviously places I know very well and can speak about with relative ease. After writing these reviews, I took a look at my Yelp profile and noticed that my profile had been viewed 6 times by other Yelp users - alas, no followers. I'm not sure how to get other Yelp users to follow my reviews or give a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" to my reviews. Right now, I think the best way to get someone's attention would be to post a review on one of the more reviewed locations. This may be a bit of a problem. One of the most popular Madison restaurants is L'Etoile on the Capitol Square. I don't exactly have the wallet to justify a field trip to that location, but I think I could swing a trip to The Soap Opera or Med Cafe on State Street.

I'm also beginning to adjust the way I write reviews, too. I'm finally accepting the fact that I'm not a seasoned foodie or shopper-extraordinaire. I don't have the jargon or industry-specific knowledge to write that kind of review and I don't think I'll be able to develop it in the next few months as a CA 346 student. So, I've made a choice. I'm going to use my senior-student status as my "brand" on Yelp. I know the campus area very well and I've become pretty well acquainted with a few places in the surrounding area, too. Point is, I know an important part of the Madison community, and I will share my knowledge through this student lens. I imagine other users will look both favorably and unfavorably on my student status, but I'm willing to take the risk as I move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment