Thursday, March 8, 2012

Practicum Post #3: Candied Pecans

Before I delve into my recent activity on Serious Eats, I will mention my latest cooking attempt and the help received from the DC world. I love trader joe's candied pecans for salads, only downfall is the price (roughly 9-10$ for .5 oz package). So I decided to check in with my discuss cooking comrades to see if anyone had any good recipes. I had tried to cook them blindly previously with butter and brown sugar (and failed miserably).


Sure enough, that same day I received a reply that was quite helpful and is the recipe I have used several times since. 
Unfortunately even regular unsalted pecans are rather pricey, and after buying all of these ingredients (since my cooking supplies are minimal) it will take a few more batches to pay for itself. Perhaps buying some pecans in bulk will be the ultimate money savor. 

Now on to Serious Eats! I have been receiving this sites weekly newsletter (via email) as well as weekly recipes and have had the opportunity to try a few, including a broccoli and chicken alfredo (pictured on the right). Needless to say mine didn't turn out as picture perfect as this one, but overall I was happy with the recipe but swapped out the linguine for penne. I also stumbled across a recipe for a hot sauce which uses habanero and scotch bonnet peppers which I have yet to be able to try out. I love hot sauce and would love to one day make my own (would make for good presents for fellow foodies and family members who love spicy foods almost as much as I do. 
That is all for now, more to come soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment