Monday, January 30, 2012

Blog 2- History of the Internet


I thought this video did a really good job at laying out the different stages the development of the internet went through from how it was initially employed for the most basic of functions, that of which it still struggled at and could only be utilized by specific professionals. The video then went on to lay out how different institutions, whether they be scientific, military, or commercial, had to work together to establish basic foundations for our modern internet. The relationship between well-known historical events and technological advances was something that I never really thought about. I never knew that the Russian’s sending Sputnik into space not only launched the space-race but also further promoted the development of internet technologies in the US. The fact that the fear generated by the Cuban Missile Crisis caused the US to change its centralized network to a decentralized network structure to avoid breakdown in case of attack was also something that I never would have really thought about but it does make a lot of sense looking back on it. I found a lot of the technological aspects talked about in the video to further solidify and supplement what we have talked about so far in lecture. I still don’t completely comprehend a lot of the technical terms used and technological processes discussed. I hope that as we continue to cover the basics of the internet’s birth and continued development I will be able to become more tech-savvy and knowledgeable in this field.

No comments:

Post a Comment