Thursday, May 3, 2012

Practicum Post #4- Uploading a DVD

I have been extremely frustrated with YouTube these days. But I don't think that it's necessarily YouTube's fault. I have already uploaded two videos to YouTube, one that I imported from a video camera and another that I connected with iMovie. However, the next video I have been attempting to upload is from a DVD. This is not an easy task, in fact I would consider it a difficult challenge. When I put a DVD with videos into my computer, multiple thumbnails come up and there is no way to drag these thumbnails onto your desktop to save the videos as a .mp4, for example. So I have been researching different ways to upload DVDs onto YouTube by searching in Google. What Google has told me is that the DVD needs to be ripped. Unfortunately, this requires downloading different software that allows you to do this. I was very skeptical on which software to download, because many require you to purchase the program. I tried iSkySoft. At first I was pleased with the program, because I was able to convert the dvd to an mp4. However, I soon realized that it would leave a mark with the programs symbol on the upper lefthand corner when uploaded onto YouTube. So I now have this hilarious video marked up with this stupid software's logo, great. I am very disappointed with this, and like I said before I do not think that this is YouTube's fault. I am still going to search for a different program that allows you to upload DVD videos onto YouTube generously. I wonder if the reason that there is not a simple way to ripp the DVD is because YouTube does not want real DVD movies uploaded onto the site due to copyright infringement rules. Ideally I think YouTube would be much more successful than it already is if they developed an efficient way to convert DVDs to the site. In fact I may write them a formal letter requesting this urgent recommendation.

3 comments:

  1. If you do not want to buy any software and cant find a freeware out there, head on over to the College Library CMC. They have several video editing stations with high end software on them available for students to use. I might add that the staff there is very knowledgeable (I work there :)) and would be more than happy to give you a hand with any questions you might have/best software to do what with. Just a thought, If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be a good idea to get help from the people working at College Library. Clearly, Google does not give accurate enough information for what you were looking to do. Everything comes with a price, and in this case, the iSkySoft program came with an unnecessary symbol on your video. I understand why YouTube would make it more difficult to upload DVDs to YouTube because, as you said, it can lead to different copyright or infringement rules. This definitely makes sense, and I realized why the content on YouTube is not as clear as it would be coming from a DVD. If YouTube made it easy to upload anything on DVDs, people would illegally upload movies or other videos that are not meant to be on YouTube. I really enjoyed reading this post, and you should definitely take Caleb's advice and check out the College Library CMC so they can help you figure out the best way to upload your videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I only use YouTube for watching videos, and not uploading my own, this post was interesting to me! Now, hearing about your issues, it makes sense that YouTube does not want to make it easy for users to upload entire DVDs onto the site. However, is it YouTube's fault if a user uploads copyrighted information onto the site, or is the user punished?

    ReplyDelete