Sunday, May 6, 2012

Second Life #4

The more I explore in Second Life, the more I realize how absolutely difficult everything is.  It is advertised as a world where you can go anywhere and do anything.  This may be true to a certain degree, but it is ridiculously hard to find out how to do things.  The only very straightforward actions in Second Life are things like walking, running, and flying.  Second Life also allows you to interact with objects throughout the worlds, which sounds easy enough, but can become complicated.  You would think that you could just click on an object to interact with it, which is sometimes the case, but there are also many objects that you instead have to "sit on" even though it isn't anything remotely resembling something you would sit on.  There was also a time I was trying to ride a horse, so I figured that "sit on" may be a logical choice this time.  But no, instead I had to right click on it, look through all of the options, and click "critter" (a menu option that I had never seen before).  It would be easier if there was some sort of indicator as to how you have to interact with certain objects, but Second Life decides to just let you figure it out on your own (or not).

Doing simple things such as changing clothes can also be a very complicated process.  Finding your inventory is easy enough, but actually finding the clothes you want to wear can be like searching for a needle in a haystack.  You would expect to find clothes in the "outfits" folder, but this is not always true.  Apparently many put together outfits you buy are not considered as such, but rather individual objects which you have to search through your entire inventory to find.  Also, your hair is considered part of the outfit, so if you "replace current outfit" you will go bald, and have to search through your inventory to get your hair back.

1 comment:

  1. I hate sitting on things that aren't meant to be sat on. I could tell you about a couple nasty incidents involving a cactus and a sea urchin. But seriously folks, I really do hate it when sites make simple tasks harder than they need to be. Exhibit A: Student Center. I usually try to avoid unnecessarily complicated websites so as not to waste my time and energy.

    ReplyDelete