Something I found interesting was right when I searched for the digital divide, the first two things that I saw were notifications stating that this article is "outdated" and that "the examples and perspective in the article may not represent a worldwide view of the subject". After that, is asked if I could please update the article to reflect recent events. And I said to myself "Perfect! They are asking me what I came here to do." As I read through the page I was finding everything I was going to write about. First off, since the page failed to indicate that the digital divide is becoming more narrow as years past, I figured I was going to add that it. Also, the page did a great job at summarizing the digital divide but didn't really zone in on the specifics. So I figured I was going to add all the statistics that I came upon in my research about African Americans and their use on the internet, and incorporate that on the page.
Once I figured out what I was going to say and ready to press the edit button, I came across this...
How can something be "semi-protected"?? It says that in order to be able to edit this page, I must log in and make 10 edits within 4 days. Due to this unfortunate circumstance, I was not able to edit my wiki page but I will still share what I originally wanted to post. Like how I've stated earlier, I definitely wanted to put in the fact that the digital divide is no longer as spacious as it used to be when looking at minority vs. caucasian groups. Also I was going to add on a section of African Americans and their uses on the internet, stating how they are the lowest percentage of users when it comes to online participation and the internet access. Then I was going to relate it back to the broader topic of Access, and just like how we have discussed in lecture, that it is when someone has the ability, rights, usage, how how that is limited amongst marginalized/oppressed groups like African Americans. This is just one of the many causes that create the digital divide.

No comments:
Post a Comment