Monday, May 7, 2012

Practicum Post #6: Specialized Information Sites (Wikipedia Post)

With all of the information and knowledge I've acquired through my experience with the CrossFit.com specialized information site, I feel like I'm finally able to contribute to the public knowledge about the site or the experience. Today, I looked up the Wikipedia page for CrossFit and looked for a place where I could fit in an edit that I knew was correct and that made sense. While I'm not by any means a "master" when it comes to CrossFit (I don't know the correct terminology when referring to certain exercises, and I don't know about all aspects of the program), I have become somewhat of an expert about the structure of these specialized information sites and what they have to offer. Therefore, in my Wikipedia post, I chose to make a (very minimal) comment about the collective intelligence aspect of the CrossFit site. The following is my very small addition to the CrossFit Wikipedia page--it falls right after the sentence about CrossFit being a virtual community. 













So, maybe I'm not a CrossFit expert...but it is incredibly ironic that my addition about collective intelligence (that we learned about in our Pierre Levy reading) resides on a page that perfectly embodies the ideas behind collective intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment