Sunday, May 6, 2012

Practicum Post #4- Autostraddle Membership




For this post, I am focusing in on my membership with Autostraddle.  Within the few days I was signed up, I got a personal message from someone named Julin saying she was interested in being my friend.  I mean clearly she knows that I am a straight female in a relationship who is looking for friends (because that's what my profile says), but I just found it nice that someone was looking for a genuine friendship.  It has been over a week since I have received this, and have no received anything else.  

Also, what I have been noticing about this blog is that the people who are on it are genuinely nice and facilitate healthy convos with their peers.  I have surfed through the multiple topics that this blog provides to see if maybe the convo atmosphere would change, but fortunately it doesn't.  If there was a heated debate, it always ended up with someone saying something nice and if trolling was spotted, they would get called out and then rejected from the conversation.  Here are a few examples: 



Even when the troll was spotted, Dina made light out of the situation by saying "anything but pictures of shovels."  I am kind of surprised that there weren't as much trolling as I thought there would be, considering the fact that LGBTQ is a extremely sensitive topic.  The reason why I think that there wasn't a lot of trolling is because this website has a strong sense of online community.  People who become members of this website absolutely love everything that autostraddle posts.  This is a blog that speaks for the LGBTQ community, and everyone appreciates it.  It is another voice that is being spread across the internet- and in a good/positive way.   Sometimes people even thank whoever wrote the posts because it is so relatable.  Here are some more examples of this:  

No comments:

Post a Comment