Hulu is not a website that I ever visit, but I go to YouTube
everyday. I don’t think this is abnormal. I think that YouTube has become a
more popular site because of the type of material that is posted compared with
Hulu.
For the video I chose to watch on Hulu I just picked the SNL
Digital Short that was featured on the homepage. Since I never use Hulu, I did
not really know what video to watch. Immediately after clicking the link I got
to watch advertisements for Digiorno Pizza. This was sort of annoying. I am not
that into SNL so it’s not surprising that I found the video boring. On Hulu the
content is all taken from TV shows. This type of content would probably be
taken down on YouTube for copyright infringement.
On YouTube I watched the video Rolling in the Deep by Adele.
When I clicked on this video I also had to watch a quick 15-second advertisement.
Also on YouTube I watched one of my favorite videos the Single Ladies Fail
where a women in a clown costume dances to Beyonce’s Single Ladies and hits her
head. This video would definitely not be on Hulu. YouTube is a site that allows
users to post their own homemade videos.
There were a few of the big difference between Hulu and
YouTube. The type of content on these sites is very different. Hulu is from TV
and YouTube is music and user created videos. Hulu has slightly better quality
of video probably because they are trying to give viewers the best experience
when watching the shows. There is far greater an environment of commenting on
YouTube. Viewers are constantly commenting on videos. Hulu does have a
discussions section, but it doesn’t seem as used as the YouTube comment
section. YouTube shows the number of viewers on a video. This allows other
viewers to see if something is becoming popular and perhaps watch it
themselves. A final difference is that although some YouTube videos like the
Adele one have advertisements, not all YouTube videos have advertisements
unlike Hulu. YouTube just feels more informal and more sharing and open than
Hulu.
One of the similarities is that both sites do have
advertisements. Hulu has them for all their videos and YouTube has it for
videos with a large enough number of viewers. Both sites are making money
through advertising. Also, both sites do show links to other videos on the same
page as the current video you are watching. YouTube does do a better job a
finding related videos. I think this related videos element is what gets people
hooked on YouTube. It’s hard to just watch one video when there is a whole list
of similar ones off to the side.


I don’t visit Hulu as often as I visit YouTube, but if I am looking for good quality and content I definitely would rather watch a clip on Hulu. I agree with you that it is not abnormal to go to YouTube everyday because I do it, as well. There are so many short clips that are available to watch very easily, even though the content is not as good as the content on Hulu.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I do agree with most of what you are saying, I do not find SNL videos boring! I think they are hilarious. Anyways, I do think the advertisements on Hulu are extremely annoying, but sometimes advertisements are necessary for a website to be successful.
Also, the Single Ladies Fail video is one of my personal favorite YouTube videos. When I first saw it, I watched the video on repeat for at least 10 times. I agree that this video would never be seen on Hulu because it is a homemade video and not from any television show. I also agree with you about the fact that YouTube has a greater number of comments from viewers. I did not even know that Hulu had a discussion section on the website before reading this post. YouTube definitely encourages an active and open participation and means of communicating with others, while Hulu offers good quality of television programs.
I always watch the related videos that YouTube offers, but I do think that YouTube sometimes provides irrelevant videos. Hulu, on the other hand, offers similar episodes to the one you are currently watching. I do enjoy watching videos on YouTube more than Hulu because it is so informal and funny, but if I wanted to watch a specific television program I would definitely choose to watch it on Hulu.