Monday, April 16, 2012

Blog 6: Hulu vs. Youtube

Youtube homepage
Even before I went on the websites, in my mind I had a very different connotation of Hulu and Youtube.  First, Hulu has full television shows and TV clips from shows that air on networks like ABC and NBC.  Youtube has more content created by users which relates to the concept of produsers in Web 2.0 that we discussed in lecture.  Because of this difference, people use these sites for different reasons.  For example, I would go on Youtube to watch a viral video like "Charlie Bit My Finger" whereas I would use Hulu to catch up on my favorite shows like Law and Order or House.  In addition, I associate Hulu with having more commercials than Youtube because it airs longer shows.  When I went on both sites, I found even more differences between the two sites.  Hulu features clips, TV shows, and movies and the site had categories like recent episodes, popular clips, and featured content.  Youtube's homepage features seemingly random clips and a bar on the side of recommended videos including "Make a presentation like Steve Jobs." In comparison, Hulu's homepage is much more organized than Youtube's page.  Overall, the aesthetics of Hulu appeared more professional whereas Youtube seemed more homemade, which reflects their content.
Hulu homepage

I searched Modern Family episodes in both sites because I wanted to catch up on the show.  Hulu had full episodes of the show for me to choose from whereas Youtube featured clips of the show.  Therefore, I can deduce that these sites have different uses.  Hulu is primarily used for watching full episodes and movies and Youtube is used for highlighting funny, viral clips.  Hulu allowed me to choose which 30 second Charter commercial I wanted to watch and Youtube had a banner at the bottom of the screen with an advertisement from Toyota.  These commercials were appropriate in proportion to the time of each clip, 20 minutes on Hulu compared to about 2 minutes on Youtube.  In addition, while Hulu has a place for comments, I found that more viewers commented on Youtube's clip.  The set-up of the Youtube encourages more participation because comments are featured below the clip whereas on Hulu users need to click a specific review button.  Both Youtube and Hulu encourage viewers to subscribe to their sites with Hulu Plus and many links to creating an account on Youtube.  Hulu Plus is a Netflix-esk streaming site whereas creating an account on Youtube allows you to post on videos and upload your own content.  In reflection, while both sites stream video, Hulu is catered towards full episodes and movies from broadcast networks and Youtube is focused on user-created content and short, viral clips from episodes.  Depending on what the viewer's wants to watch, both sites have advantages to cater to users' needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment