Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Google search

As with most people, the first few hits when Google-ing myself are the social networks Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+. Google+ profiles are now the first things to come up when searching an individual. After these results, a few specific tweets and videos stemming from Twitter rounded out the first page. Continuing with the search, my resume came up a few times, along with my profile on the Wisconsin Singers webpage (where I work). The final results that came up were videos and postings from when I was in a band and used to perform a few shows.

Below the search, in the "searches related to" area, my name in conduction with "twitter" and "tennis" are displayed. I was very involved in tennis in my hometown, and clicking on this search brought up an extensive list of results from previous matches in high school, and all the way back to tournaments from when I was 13 years old.

I have done the self-search before, but this search produced the most results I have witnessed before. This is probably due to the increase in results dedicated to specific tweets, videos, resumes, etc. Personally, I feel comfortable with all of this information being searchable. Mostly I am concerned with potential employers, and I believe many acceptable results of a Google search looks better than no results, which may been seen as having something to hide. This very well, and I'm sure is not the case, but can be seen that way to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment