Monday, February 20, 2012

Practicum Post 1: Writer'sCafe.org

I am taking a Creative Writing course this semester so I decided to make writing my special interest. I considered AllPoetry.com for a while (it is the largest poetry sharing community on the web) but eventually decided to go with WritersCafe.org because I didn't want to be confined to only poetry. WritersCafe is a smaller, lesser known site, that specializes in writers sharing their own work, getting reviews, and reviewing other writers'. On this site you can also befriend or subscribe to other writers, join writing groups, enter contests, or talk about different aspects of writing on discussion boards. Signing up was really easy. I just needed a user ID, password, and email address. Later I created my screen name, about me section, and profile picture. For my screen name and picture I wasn't too imaginative: my name is ggephart and I used my facebook profile picture. As I started scanning the other members I realized that not many others took this same approach. Most of the profile pictures are fantasy inspired graphics of butterflies or mermaids. Some of the screen names I've seen have been "Revery", "Poetic Justice", and "-*-Butterfly Kisses-*-". The first email I got was from a guy called "Pale Writer" who was rocking a profile picture of the hot guy from House. As of right now, I've just uploaded two of my own pieces but I actually got quite a few reviews in the first few days. All of the reviews have been really complimentary and friendly. I joined a group called "Need Reviews?" to hopefully get more people to look at my writing. On the "Erotica/Romance" forum board I left a post asking if anyone had read or had any thoughts on this super raunchy poem we read in my Creative Writing class (it's called The Platonic Blow). So far, no hits on that one... The most 
difficulty I'm having with WritersCafe is leaving feedback for other writers. I have a hard time critiquing other people's work. 

I've also recently joined a poetry group on facebook. I had to be allowed in by one of the administrators which took longer than I would've suspected. Mostly group members just post their poetry as comments on the page's wall but there have been some questions about inspiration and self-publishing. I posted one of my poems (kind of my only poem, I've only had a few classes) on the wall and have two likes as of now. 

My question for you now is if you think writers would be more likely to share their work on a site like WritersCafe, where they are relatively anonymous, or on a facebook poetry group, where after reading your poem the reader is one click away from your life story? 

No comments:

Post a Comment