I had heard many bad things about Chatroulette in the past, but decided to find out for myself if the rumors were true. Starting out, things were actually quite fine. I met a very fascinating guy from Chile who told me all about the Chilean army and other interesting historical facts. However, after that initial encounter, things began to go downhill. I met several boys (note: definitely not men) who were there solely to catch a glimpse of female chests as well as other men who simply wanted to expose their genitalia.
This being said, I think that the concept of technopanic is not unfounded in relation to Chatroulette. It is possible to find people who are perfectly willing to engage in a thoughtful conversation, however those people are far and few between. Even with "safe mode" enabled I was unfortunately subjected to several videos of men revealing themselves. Such a site could potentially be very fun and enlightening if it were to somehow be moderated, but as it is currently, Chatroulette does pose a potentially large threat to traditional morals, and does support the idea of a technopanic.

No comments:
Post a Comment