Monday, January 30, 2012

Blog #2 - History of the Internet

This video gave me a better sense of how all of the smaller networks were able to be combined to form the internet. I'm amazed that even though developers from other nations had similar knowledge of how to form the network, that they were able to do so while using the network for different purposes (military, commerce, etc).  Having been developed during the Cold War, it seems like the reason for the internet's structure is on stability. However, now that the internet is sort of self-sustaining, it is interesting that we are able to rely on the internet and world wide web to communicate and store some of our most valuable information and assets, from bank records to identity information. I am one of those the keeps everything that I do somewhere online, and while I generally feel secure about this, this video reminds me that the internet is an ever-developing resource and should be used with some caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment